Thursday, January 7, 2010

First Snow in Illinois!

This morning we woke up to our first snow in Illinois. We measured 2 1/2 inches on our front porch.


The great thing about snow here is that it is like powder. None of that hard, icy stuff, although that does make it harder to make snowballs as Hayes and I found today. Also since it hasn't gotten above freezing here yet this year (not kidding) the snow is not going to turn into slush by the end of the day.

Thankfully the streets are clear if you need to go anywhere, although our school district and some of the surrounding ones were closed today. We had two snow plow trucks come down our street this morning so we are not snowed in. This is a good thing since the baby is due at the end of next month. I was starting to get a little anxiety about the thought of getting snowed in, since this mama is going to need an epidural.

We went out and played before and after lunch. Of course Hayes did not want to come in, but I was afraid his poor little hands would be frostbitten if we stayed outside too much longer. All the snow quality mittens I've been able to find are too big.

We had to improvise with what we had from South Carolina, a sand bucket. We made snow castles and then headed in for some hot chocolate. I wanted to show Hayes how to make a snow angel, but I was afraid I couldn't get up. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.

No comments: