Sunday, July 11, 2010

Slacker

Okay I have been a slacker about the blog in the past week or so. We've finally calmed down from all of our trips and I have been lazy. I'll try to post more often this week. Especially since my little boo boo is 5 months old tomorrow ~ I cannot even believe it!

We did go and visit a church in Carbondale, IL this morning called The Vine Community Church. The only reason we've hesitated visiting is because it is a good 30 minutes away, and I would prefer to be closer so I can be more involved.

This church is A LOT like Marathon Community Church that we belong to back in Powdersville, SC. However The Vine reaches out to college students, which makes up 40% of their congregation.

We went to the 11am service and checked the boys into the nursery, and headed for the free coffee stand. I jokingly (but really a little serious) said that church could be our one hour date once a week, and sat down in the cafe area. About a minute later Staff Pastor, Greg Darling, singled us out as first-timers and came over and talked to us for about 15 minutes before the service began. I was actually very surprised that a pastor of a church of 1500+ members noticed us. It was great to be welcomed! We enjoyed talking to him and learning more about the church.

We enjoyed the first week of a six week series on the Book of Titus, and the music was really good too. We'll definitely be going back!

Check it out...
http://www.vinecommunitychurch.com/

3 comments:

Dan Reedy said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the Vine! I am one of the discipleship community pastors at the Vine. I hope your boys enjoyed the kids program. I have three (1 boy & 2 girls) and they always have a blast.

If you have any other questions about the church I'd be happy to try and answer them for you and I hope to meet you on a weekend sometime!

Porters said...

Thanks Dan! I'm actually coming to Misson Motherhood in the morning. I'm assuming Lauren is your wife? Can't wait to meet some of the ladies.

Dan Reedy said...

Yup, Lauren is my wife. I hope you had a good time and got to meet everyone! Today they are having a play group at Ultimate Gymnastics in Carbondale. If you can make it you should go, the kids always have a great time.